Insight South Sulawesi
INSIGHT SOUTH SULAWESI TOURS
When travelling around South Sulawesi you will most likely start from the island’s capital, the city of Makassar. Even though Makassar is more often a short stopover for travellers who want to explore the south and middle of the island, there are beautiful unexplored areas in and around Makassar that are definitely worth a visit.
We have been developing exclusive tours in the area of Makassar aiming to get travelers acquainted with the amazing landscapes and friendly people around Makassar. If you have the time, you will not regret staying for a few nights. Cross through evergreen rice fields, discover local habitats and learn about traditional cultures.
Learn more about our Insight South Sulawesi tours:
Interested in really getting to know the culture and people of Indonesia? Or are you looking for that hidden paradise that can only be reached on foot or by bicycle? Our Insight tours are our signature tours of a few days that will give you a taste of the real spirit of Indonesia. Combine Insight tours with the Discover tour of your destination to go off the beaten track, but not forgetting to visit the more known, but equally interesting sights.
These tours are only examples, the program will be tailor made to your wishes for an unforgettable travel experience. For more information, please contact us.
Discover South Sulawesi tour
Combine the Discover South Sulawesi Tour with our Insight South Sulawesi tours to learn more about 'the real spirit of Indonesia'
Gain more insight in other destinations:
Tour itinerary Insight Makassar
Day 1: Biking Barombong
Day 2: Culinary trip
Day 3: Bulusaraung trip
Play video for an impression of the Barombong bike trip
- For those who are interested in culture and the local way of living, we can take you to local villages in the Barombong area, about 15 minutes from Makassar by car. By mountainbikes you will explore the rural area and get acquainted with the friendliness of the locals. Everywhere you go, be expected to receive a warm welcome. During the trip coffee and tea is served at a local house and a Buginese lunch in another. As you are travelling by bike it is easy to make some stops along the way at some home industries and you can (try to) chat with some of the locals.
- The culinary tour is a fun way to explore the local markets of Makassar and of course eat a delicious home cooked meal! By becak, taxi or public transport you will visit markets in Makassar where you will do some grocery shopping for the cooking class which will take place in a small community in Makassar. This community consists of 300 families that have been able to remain their traditional lifestyle harmonizing with modernization. Surrounding the village are rice fields and agriculture fields on which crops are grown without using pesticides or fertilizers. The rivers provide them with plenty of fish and shrimps. Most of the houses are in Bugis style. The community can only be reached by small boats that can take bikes and motorbikes, but cars cannot reach the village.
adventure in bulusaraung
- Tari Travel’s newest trip is an adventurous, but long day! For a full day you will explore the Maros-Pangkep area by cycling, walking and canoeing. The trip starts at a small village about 1,5 hours from Makassar where you can see kalong, flying foxes, sleeping in the trees. From here on you take the mountainbike through an amazing landscape dominated by karst mountains and you can visit one of its caves. It is a mountainous area and some parts are so steep, you need to walk with the bike in hand. But what goes up, must come down! After the ride downhill a lunch is served at a local home. From here you start the beautiful, adventurous walk through ricefields, forest and a narrow gap between the rocks. The gap can be filled with some water when it has rained and some clambering is required. At the end of the gap, you reach a beautifully located village where coffee and tea is served. Afterwards the last part of the trip remains, which is a relaxing ride with a canoe.
Tour itinerary Insight Malino
Day 1: Malino, bike trip
Day 2: Malino, walk 4-5 hours
Day 3: Transfer to next destination
cycling or walking the fertile lands of malino
- The area of Malino consists of a lush green hilly landscape with conifers, countless rice fields and is surrounded by mountains, valleys, rivers and waterfalls. A truly beautiful area to explore by mountainbike or on foot. Along the way you can learn about how rice is being processed, encounter wild animals and admire special species of trees plants, including numerous fruit trees.
- Due to the mountainous area the trip includes a few light as well as steep climbs. However, each time you will be rewarded by a spectacular panoramic view over the green surroundings.
- The tours end at a friendly local home where you will be served a tasty lunch.
Tour itinerary Insight Toraja
Day 1: Sightseeing/walks, lunch local home
Day 2: First day trekking
Day 3: Finish trekking; rafting Maulu river
Day 4: Bicycle trip
Day 5: Softtrekking
2 day trek and overnight in local home
- To thoroughly gain insight on the Toraja way of living, we suggest a trek of 2 days into a unique part of Toraja not often visited by other tourists and you will have the opportunity to spend the night in a small typical Toraja village. Most of the trip you will walk at high altitudes (900-1300 meter) with astonishing views. You walk through rice terraces balancing on narrow rice dikes and via small dirt roads only used by local people. Sometimes you will cross small rivers by bamboo bridge or wade through the water. The villages you pass are very traditional and in some you will stop to have some tea or enjoy your lunch.
- The trek ends near a river that offers great rafting. An adventure on the water to fully take in the astonishing surroundings and you can see iguanas sunbathing on the rocks.
cycling or softtrekking the mountains
- The beautiful surroundings of Toraja can also be explored by bicycle or through a longer walk of around 6 hours.
"Wij zijn in 2 gastgezinnen geweest, zoals we ook wilden en dat is echt een fantastische ervaring voor ons geweest! En de verzorging in de auto: water, boekje, schoonmaakdoekjes enz enz. Nog nooit zoiets verzorgds meegemaakt!"
Mennie & Rob I Zuid Sulawesi, Insight Toraja