INSIGHT KALIMANTAN TOURS
Visit the Dayak area surrounding Banjarmasin, these tribes were notoriously known as headhunters in the past. Nowadays the people welcome everyone with open arms to get to know their culture and traditions. Kalimantan is also home to a few stunning islands; the Derawan archipelago.
Learn more about our Insight Kalimantan tours:
Interested in really getting to know the culture and people of Indonesia? Or are you looking for that hidden paradise that can only be reached on foot or by bicycle? Our Insight tours are our signature tours of a few days that will give you a taste of the real spirit of Indonesia. Combine Insight tours with the Discover tour of your destination to go off the beaten track, but not forgetting to visit the more known, but equally interesting sights.
These tours are only examples, the program will be tailor made to your wishes for an unforgettable travel experience. For more information, please contact us.
Discover Kalimantan tours
Combine the Discover Kalimantan Tours with our Insight Sumatra tours to learn more about 'the real spirit of Indonesia'
Gain more insight in other destinations:
Tour itinerary Insight Loksado
Day 1: From Banjarmasin to Loksado, visit buffaloes of Negara
Day 2: First day trekking forest, visit traditional houses
Day 3: Second day trekking
Day 4: Bamboo rafting, return to Banjarmasin
- The areas surrounding Banjarmasin are home of the Dayak tribes. Formerly known as notorious headhunters, the friendly Dayak people nowadays welcome outsiders with open arms to meet their traditions and culture. The Dayak tribes live in the hinterlands, surrounded by beautiful forests and swamps.
- On the way to Loksado you have the chance to see wild buffaloes swimming through the swamp lands back to their home, an amazing sight!
2 day trek
- Trek through the forest to visit villages where not many people have gone before. Meals are served en route which you will eat together with the local communities. Truly get to know these fascinating tribes and overnight in one of their traditional homes.
- Return to Banjarmasin from Loksado the Dayak way - by bamboo raft! A little bench is constructed on the bamboo raft where you can sit on and enjoy the beautiful forest.
Tour itinerary Derawan Islands
Day 1: Flight Balikpapan - Berau, transfer Nunukan Island
Day 2: Nunukan Island, free day
Day 3: Nunukan Island, free day
Day 4: Nunukan Island, free day
Day 5: Transfer Berau, flight to Balikpapan
highlights derawan islands
- A dreamlike tropical paradise can be found just of the mainland of East Kalimantan. The Derawan archipelago consists of 31 islands not often visited by tourists, beautiful white beaches, clear blue water and simple, but comfortable cottages on the beach. Our favorite is Nunukan Island. It takes a 1,5 hour flight, a 2 hour car ride and a 3 hour boat ride to get there from Balikpapan, but it is worth it!
- Known as one of the top diving spots in the world, Derawan hosts giant turtles, manta rays, dugongs, barracuda, dolphins and whales. And you can snorkel in a freshwater lake with stingless jellyfish!