INSIGHT FLORES TOURS
An island with still so many traditional tribes and interesting sights offers incredible insight tours! Stay a few days longer in an area to truly get to know a culture or take the boat to visit the Komodo National Park. This UNESCO world heritage site is the only home to the notorious Komodo dragon. A must visit!
Learn more about our Insight Flores tours:
Interested in really getting to know the culture and people of Indonesia? Or are you looking for that hidden paradise that can only be reached on foot or by bicycle? Our Insight tours are our signature tours of a few days that will give you a taste of the real spirit of Indonesia. Combine Insight tours with the Discover tour of your destination to go off the beaten track, but not forgetting to visit the more known, but equally interesting sights.
These tours are only examples, the program will be tailor made to your wishes for an unforgettable travel experience. For more information, please contact us.
Discover Flores tours
Combine the Discover Flores Tour with our Insight Flores tours and extension to learn more about 'the real spirit of Indonesia'
Gain more insight in other destinations:
Tour itinerary Insight West Flores
Day 1: From Labuan Bajo to coastal village by truck
Day 2: Trekking to traditional Manggarai village with cone shaped houses
Day 3: Trekking downwards; by car to Ruteng
Day 4: Biking Ruteng; visit prehistorical caves
Day 5: Return to Labuanbajo or continue to Bajawa
highlights west flores
- Learn more about the fascinating Manggarai people. Just a few of their traditional cone-shaped houses remain and your goal for this unique trip is to visit a remote village that still has several of these houses still inhabited.
bumpy truck ride
- This first day you will drive by truck to a small coastal village. A truck is needed as some parts of the road are too bad for other means of transportation. There are wooden benches and a roof. It is a long road entering a seldom visited area and allowing for spectacular views of the rough south coast of Flores.
2 day trek
- You walk to a remote village where you can still find several typical Manggarai communal houses. You have all the time to witness the life in this small and unique village as you spend the night in one of the Manggarai houses sleeping on thin mats. A tasty dinner is served at the local home and the following morning you trek through a beautiful landscape, several times descending and ascending. You will enjoy great views on rice terraces and on the south coast of Flores and visit another local village before reaching Ruteng.
ruteng & surroundings by bicycle
- A bicycle trip along the villages and rice fields is a great way to explore the surroundings. There are some walking parts included because of the condition of the road. It is a relaxing and fun way to see the towns around Ruteng. The bike trip takes about 4 hours and you can visit the colourful market where typical Manggarai sarongs are sold. Afterwards explore prehistorical caves where fossils of the ‘Flores Man’, or also known as ‘hobbit’, were found.
Tour itinerary Insight Central Flores
Day 1: Trekking Bajawa to remote Ngada village, welcome ceremony
Day 2: Short trekking; by car to Bajawa or Ruteng
highlights central flores
2 day trek
- Trek through a beautiful rough forested area to one of the most traditional villages of the Ngada area. Not many tourists have gone before you, thus making the hike of 11 kilometers truly off the beaten track!
ngada village life
- The trek takes you to beautiful, very traditional Ngada houses located in an open area, surrounded by forests and fields; an amazing sight. The villagers withhold from any modern modification to the houses. You’ll find no zinc roofs, no stone walls, but see that everything is made from organic materials as was done in the old days.
- The villagers welcome you with a traditional ceremony and later in the evening you witness a very special flute concert. Overnight is primitive on thin mats in one of the houses.
- The following morning you leave the village after a good breakfast, following a broad path downwards to the car.
Tour itinerary Komodo National Park
Day 1: Transfer harbour, start boat trip Komodo/Rinca
Day 2: Boat trip Komodo/Rinca
Day 3: Finish boat trip; transfer hotel Labuan Bajo or airport
highlights komodo national park
untouched rinca island
- Early in the morning you leave Labuan Bajo by boat and head for the island of Rinca, one of bigger islands belonging to the national park of Komodo. It is also one of the islands where the Komodo dragons live. Rinca is more untouched and less visited than the neighbouring island of Komodo. It has secluded bays and is grown over with lontar palms, grasses, small shrubs and cacti. Walking here means walking through an open landscape with vast views of the green-blue waters of Komodo National Parks. Sometimes you meet wild horses, buffaloes and monkeys.
- After a visit of Rinca you will continue sailing to Komodo, on the way there will be time to do some great snorkeling. Your boat will be anchored for overnight at a secluded bay. In the morning you head for Komodo island. During the trip you can stop at some uninhabited islands and do some snorkeling.
- There is more dry and bare forest on this island and you will see geckos peeking from their holes in trees, hear the shrieks of the cockatoos and spot more colorful birds.
back to basic on the boat
- Boats are very simple with basic facilities for sleeping and washing. The crew will cook for you during your stay on board.